Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Where were you for 9/11?


"Where were you when 9/11 happened?" is the question that my generation will be able to answer like my parent's generation could answer, "Where were you when Kennedy was shot"?  When something so horribly tragic happens most people will remember where they were, who they were with and other little details.  I will start this post with saying this will NOT be about my thought or feelings about what is currently happening or what has happened over the past 11 years.  This post will ONLY be about that 1 day in modern history that I will never forget!

The morning of September 11, 2001 was like any normal morning for me.  I was a senior in high school that year and of course had to go to school.  I went to school like I did any day, reporting to my 1st class of the day. 


But when I found out what was happening I was sitting in my AP English 12 class.  Someone came into our classroom and told us to turn on the TV (at this point I do not remember if it was a student or an adult).  My English teacher turned on the TV to see what was going on.  At the time no one really knew what was happening.

Things get a little hazy and confusing in my mind because of all of the commotion that was happening in my classroom.  The things that I do remember are all of a sudden EVERYONE's cell phones started ringing.  Technically we were not allowed to have phones in school but my English teacher made an exception if we went in her closet.  She had the biggest closet in the entire school and allowed us to talk to our parents from in there.  My dad wanted me to leave school immediately and head home.  But I didn't want to be the weird kid and leave.  Surprisingly looking back no one went home that day.

In all of my classrooms for the rest of the day the TV stayed on and we watched what would become history to future generations.  I called my Hubby, who I was dating at the time, to see where he was.  He had to work that day at the mall.  They ended up closing the mall because they were using the roof to keep an eye on the Nuclear Power Plant, but he could not leave until the manager of his store came back from eating.  So him and his friend wondered around a dead mall for over an hour!

The things I remember about that day, the things my Hubby remembers, my parents, friends, family will be something that one day our children will ask us about for a history project.  I remember having to write a paper on where my parents where when they found out about Kennedy.  But never did I think that on 9/11/01 I would be part of what my children will one day have to write a report on.  Do you remember where you were that day?

Below is a video my church did last year for the 10 year anniversary of others remembering that day!  Some had family in buildings and some were suppose to be in buildings that were hit.  We will always remember!        


We Remember. from Fair Oaks Church on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment