Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Diapers Galore!!! Part 3

I am super excited that after this post you will have all the information (I feel is important) about ALL the different kinds of diapers.  But at the same time I will be sad to see my 1st series come to an end.  It is a bitter sweet moment for me.  This last part will consist of a BUNCH of letters :)  AIO, AI2, SIO....what do they mean?

AIO

AIO?  What is AIO?  AIO stands for All in One.  An All in One is probably the easiest diaper that there is next to a disposable.  Basically an AIO is a disposable the you wash.  An AIO has all parts sewn into the diaper.  What you get is what you get.  You do not need extra soaker pads to absorb and you do not need a cover to keep everything dry.  I call AIO the Daddy Dummy Diaper (no offense).  My husband does not really want anything to do with my CDs.  But when I go out I leave him the Thirsties Duo AIO as an extra diaper.  It is the only one that he will put on Baby K unless he is forced to put her to bed while I am out.

I have tried 2 different brands of AIOs.  The 1st one I have to sadly say I hated!  I know hated is a strong word but I really did.  I was so sad because it was SO cute!  But it had side snaps and I was not a fan of those.  And I had to have it on the 3rd snap out of 6 plus I had to have the rise totally unsnapped to fit on Baby K at 8 months old.  It was suppose to be a OS (one-size) diaper and fit through potty training but I don't see how it could.  The 2nd AIO I tried I LOVE!!!  It is super easy to use, comes in Aplix or snap (front) and is as easy to use as a disposable.  The only downside to AIOs is that they do take a longer time to dry when you wash them.

AIOs (according to kellyscloset.com)
  • These cloth diapers are the easiest and most leak proof diapers to use and have a built in diaper cover sewn into the cotton or fleece layer. 
  •  They fasten with snaps or Velcro and work like the ease of a disposable.
  •  NO diaper cover required.
 As with all diapers AIOs can range greatly in price.  The cheapest one I found at Kelly's Closet is the Thirsties Duo All-in-One for $15.75 and the most expensive is the BumGenius! Elemental Organic All-in-One One Size Diaper for $24.97.  At Abby's Lane the cheapest I found is the Thirsties Duo All-in-One for $15 and the most expensive is the Swaddlebees OS Simplex for $25.95.

To cloth diaper my almost 11 month old full time and to wash every other day I have a stash of 12 diapers (this does not include my overnight diapers).  So for 12 diapers you could spend $180 on the lowest end or $311.40 on the highest end.  Most CD families have a mix and match of their types and brands of diapers.  AIOs make great daycare diapers or diapers for people who watch your child and know nothing about cloth diapering.

SIO and AI2

SIOs and AI2s (sometimes know as hybrid diapers) are pretty much the same thing so I will explain them both together.  SIO stands for Snap-in-One and AI2 stands for All-in-Two.  Most people consider SIO and AI2 the same thing.  The main difference I have seen between the two is that the SIO inserts snap in (hence the name) and the AI2 inserts just lay in the diaper.  SIO and AI2 are like the AIO but all the parts come apart to make cleaning and dryer faster and easier.

I use SIOs on a DAILY basis.  I own 4 itti bitti SIOs and they are a go to diaper.  I especially use them when I know it might be a little while before Baby K gets changed.  The longest she has gone in one is 3 1/2 hours and not a single leak.  I LOVE my SIOs and would never get rid of them.  I have not tried an official (branded as) AI2.  I just love my itti bittis so much that I don't really need another brand :)

Hybrids (SIO/AI2) (according to Kellyscloset.com)
  • Hybrid diapers offer parents a flexible, modern, eco-friendly alternative to traditional disposable diapers.  
  • The convenience of disposable diapers coupled with the reusability of cloth diaper covers, hybrid diapers morph the best of both worlds.
  • Each diaper consists of a washable, reusable cloth diaper cover which can be used with either biodegradable disposable inserts or washable cloth inserts; the choice is yours!
 The price ranges I found at kellyscloset.com are the Flip: Stay Dry Individual (One-Size Diaper Cover & One-Size Stay-Dry Insert) for $16.95 as the cheapest and $16.95 for the GroVia shell and at least $9.50 for the booster as the most expensive.  At Abbyslane.com I found the Flip as the cheapest at $16.95 and the GroVia shell at $16.95 and at least $9.50 for the booster as the most expensive.

I hope all of this information in the 3 part series has helped.  I hope I have not confused you more than you already were in the 1st place :) I know it is a lot of information to take in but if you have any further questions please feel free to email me at SAH.Cloth.Diapering.Mama@gmail.com and I will be happy to help you in any way I can.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/yPtfi
   

No comments:

Post a Comment