Monday, January 2, 2012

Cloth Diapering Part Time....

If you are interested in cloth diapering but not sure if you will like it, a good option might be part time diapering.  I started my venture into the world of cloth diapering only part time.  I had received 1 diaper as a present (which started the whole thing) and I had bought 3 more.  My only option was to do it part time at that point.  4 diapers was a good number for me to try part time.  It gave me just enough diapers that with out using them at nap time and at bed time, unless baby K went #2, they lasted the whole day and I would wash EVERY night.  This got a little old for me after a while.

For me this was a good starting point and option, but to be honest it was a pain!!!  I HAD to wash every night so that I would have diapers for the next day or I had to use disposables.  It is a workable system.  For me it just was not ideal.  I have so many other things that I am doing at night that if I forget to put on the extra rinse (my washer doesn't have it as a option) then I either had to stay up later so that I could, then throw them in the dryer before going to bed or I had to dry them in the morning.

The more I used my cloth diapers the more I fell in love with them.  I personally feel that they are either just as easy as disposables or easier.  My house does not smell like baby poop anymore because I am flushing it down the toilet instead of throwing it in the trash.  I have an extra load of laundry to do EVERYDAY (by doing it part time) that I am always throwing extra kids clothes in with my diapers.  So now they ALWAYS have clean everything.  And most of all I feel that I am doing something good for my baby.  I mean think about it, would you like paper or cloth on your tush?

So after part time diapering for a little over a week I decided that this was for me!!!  I was super excited and could not wait to be done buying disposable diapers ALL the time.  I decided that Baby K was going to get new diapers for Christmas and by this point my husband had come to the conclusion that, if I was going to do it fine but then I HAD to follow through with it.  That was fine with me so I placed an order with the original lady I had bought from for 2 new FuzziBunz perfect sizes and I also wanted to try an Oh Katy (a one size).  And I also placed an order with an online retailer Kelly's Closet.  I ordered 2 itti bitti d'lish SIO (snap in ones) which a friend had recommended since I liked the FuzziBunz perfect size so much, an itti bitti boo (for overnight), a couple extra boosters for the itti bitti's since I had never tried them, and a Thirsties Duo Wrap cover for over the boo at night, and they were running a promotion that if you spent so much you got a free one size diaper and mind happen to be another Oh Katy. 

After Christmas Baby K now had enough diapers that I could wash every day and a half and use a disposable overnight every other day.  She now has 10 diapers and it does make the washing and ability to use much better.  I now wash one day at afternoon nap, skip a day and was morning nap, then the NEXT day afternoon nap and repeat :)  It is still a lot of washing especially since I went back to doing it everyday as of the 1st of the year so that I could totally cut out disposables.  I decided on that I was going to place another order and have a new overnight diaper on its way :)

Overall I would recommend cloth diaper part time only if you wanted to try it but were VERY unsure.  Also if you don't know others that might be interested in buying your diapers if you didn't like it.  But I would not recommend it for a long time frame.  I would say probably no more than 2 weeks tops or you might get burnt out to quickly trying to keep up with everything.  If you burn yourself out just trying to keep up with the washing because you don't have enough diapers you will never full enjoy the experience and (my personal opinion) the ease of cloth diapering.  

2 comments:

  1. Maybe with my next baby I will try cloth diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely suggest trying it if you are even a little bit interested. I have heard of people starting from the newborn stage. But I have heard then when they hit (I think and will find out for a later post) that when they hit around 3 months is ideal. The diapers fit better and you are not changing them, what seems like, every 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete